HAPPY ACCIDENTS #1
-
FROM EARRING TO BALL  (part 2)
 
     
  by Erik Es - Amsterdam, July 2, 2018  
     
  While printing these "Double Spiral Earrings" (see PART 1) I ended
up with several trays holding a pile of these prints, waiting to be made
into earrings.
When I started on the job of attaching the hooks, I noticed that, after
being piled up, these earrings had a nasty tendency to lock together.
Here's three of them holding on to each other:
 
   
 
After cursing this unwanted property a couple of times, I suddenly
realized that this was actually a pretty neat way of connecting two
prints together. Happy accident !

I had also noticed that the spiral shapes can easily be bent over the
top of my finger to form part of a sphere. So, still with spirals in
mind, I came up with the idea to make a 5-armed spiral with a small
spiral at the end of each arm, so that 12 of these pieces could be
connected to form a dodecahedron. Note that at each "corner" THREE
small spirals will connect together, that's why they are that wide.
 
   
 
This led to one of those occasions where the end result is very
different than anticipated. I was expecting to end up with some kind
of round ball, like a football with 12 slightly curved segments.
But I ended up with this instead:
 
   
 
Nice, interesting, but not the ball I wanted...
So then I decided to make another shape for the piece, while still
using the connecting spirals.
I also put the connectors on the sides of the pentagons instead of the
corners (so they only connect 2 parts instead of 3).
 
 

 
 
This finally led to the birth of the beautiful SPRING BALL which is now
one of the marvelous objects for sale at Printed In Space.
 
   
 
This object would not have existed if those spiral earrings had not
been so willing to stick together. Happy accidents - I love them.

Looking back, I actually like that "failed" ball a lot. It has a kind of
Escher-like & "esoteric" quality, like some strange artificial planet
constructed by alien angels. I think I'll try some similar-but-different
designs to see what happens. Knowing that the end result can be
quite different than expected makes this is a fun technique to
experiment with.

By the way: it happens quite regularly that "first attempts" and
"in-between" designs which are abandoned (because they do not
fit the requirements at the time) can be used for something else
later on. Good subject for another blog...
 
 
 

BACK TO BLOGS PAGE